Re: Compiling mutt for OS X; using SMTP option. What libraries

On Monday, March 30 at 10:38 AM, quoth russurquhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx:
> I've been trying to compile mutt to use SMTP. I've used the
> following configure:
>
> ./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-curses --with-regex
> --enable-locales-fix \
>   --enable-pop --enable-smtp --with-sasl --enable-hcache --with-ssl
> $ make
>
> when i get to the make part, it bombs out looking for sasl.

Well, with the --with-sasl flag, you told it that you HAD sasl, so
that would make sense, don't you think?

> My question, what additional applications/libraries are needed?

You need to have all the libraries that you TELL IT you have. If you
tell it you have a SASL library, then you better have one. If you tell
it you have an hcache library (such as bdb or gbdm or tokyocabinet),
then you better have one.

> Is this written in any documentation somewhere?

No offense intended, but what good would it do to write down "if you
tell mutt to use the SASL library, it will expect to find one
somewhere."? Isn't that a little... blindingly obvious?

Nevertheless, these things are written down in, of all places, the
mutt manual: http://www.mutt.org/doc/devel/manual.html

For example, information about the SASL issue is in the manual, in
section 4.2 (the Authentication section):

     SASL is a special super-authenticator ... To use it, you must have
     the Cyrus SASL library installed on your system and compile mutt
     with the --with-sasl flag.

As another example, the requirements of the header caching (hcache)
feature are documented in section 7.1 (the Header Caching section):

     Header caching can be enabled via the configure script and the
     --enable-hcache option. It's not turned on by default because
     external database libraries are required: one of tokyocabinet,
     qdbm, gdbm or bdb must be present.

As a self-identified tech writer, I would think you would have a
better appreciation for the utility of the manual.

> Do i NEED fink to do this?

Of course not. I don't use fink (or macports) to install mutt on my
OSX machine. Then again, I read the documentation too, so I guess I'm
just weird.

This is my configure command:

     ./configure --enable-hcache --with-tokyocabinet --with-ssl
     --enable-smtp --enable-imap --with-sasl --enable-debug

I have installed ncursesw (for UTF-8 support), cyrus-sasl (for
authentication support), tokyocabinet (for hcache), and libidn (for
handling international domain names... maybe unnecessary, but I did it
anyway).

~Kyle
- --
All men dream; but not equally.