Re: Compiling mutt for OS X; using SMTP option. What libraries

On Monday, March 30 at 01:18 PM, quoth russurquhart1@xxxxxxxxxxx:
> Thanks for the reply and the dressing down! :)

Well, it wasn't intended to be a serious dressing down... but you're
now saying something completely different from your original email.
Can you blame me for interpreting your question "Is this written in
any documentation somewhere?" as an indication that you HADN'T FOUND
IT in the documentation?

I don't see how anyone could be reasonably expected to interpret your
question as meaning "I found this information in the manual, but it's
arranged on a per-feature basis, and it would be nice if all of this
compile-time information could be collected into a single, brief,
howto."

> I had indeed looked in the manual, and had found the things you
> mentioned. My point was there seemed to be little else than a
> mention. I had seen the reference to Cyrus SASL library, but where
> is this library located at? URL? I did a search and found not only
> that, but a reference to Cyrus SASL Library 2, i believe. Should i
> use that one? Would it work with the latest mutt?

There is only one Cyrus-SASL library. If you actually attempted to
download it, you'd discover that the most recent version of it is
version 2.1.22 (released back in 2003). Earlier versions, predictably,
had smaller version numbers. The last in the 1.x series was 1.5.28,
released in 2002.

I'm not sure what the confusion is. Is it not reasonable to assume
that mutt works with the most recent version of the software unless
otherwise specified?

> As a technical writer I don't think it would hurt to have either a
> section or separate manual taking a step-by-step approach to
> describing what features are available, what their dependencies are,
> if any, and their url, also maybe saying what features are not
> compatible with others. The initial hurdle, imo, to getting mutt up
> and running, is getting the correct parameters for the ./configure
> command. If you pick the right ones, then the compile goes fine. If
> it doesn't where do you go.

That's a very different question than the one you asked at first.

Unfortunately, there isn't a lot of extensive documentation on the
process of compiling mutt... The mutt Wiki has accumulated a list of
howto guides (http://wiki.mutt.org/?UserStory), but they may not tell
you exactly what you want. Beyond that, the place to go for help is
the mutt mailing list.

I think the reason there isn't much documentation on it is that most
folks tend to install mutt with a package manager, and those who don't
generally have a technical reason that they don't want to (i.e. they
want a specific feature that the package manager doesn't provide), and
have the technical experience necessary to figure it out. But if you
want to write a "how to compile mutt" document, I'm sure it would be
welcomed. You can probably even get it hosted on mutt's wiki.

> (I thought that some of this, at one time WAS in the documentation,
> i.e. the ./configure and make steps. Are they still there?)

I don't remember it every being part of the *official* documentation.
When do you think you saw it?

> Sorry if my novice questions bothered you, but the documentation didn't
> answer my questions fully.

I don't mind novice questions at all! But you didn't indicate that
you'd read the documentation, and it seemed to me that the
documentation answered your question.

For what it's worth, on recent versions of MacOS X, you don't need the
- --with-curses, --with-regex, or --enable-locales-fix options. Mutt can
automatically detect the curses library that MacOS X comes with, the
regex library that MacOS X comes with works fine by itself, and the
result of isprint() is indeed reliable.

~Kyle
- --
A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the
subject.
                                     -- Winston Churchill, July 5, 1954