Compiling mutt for OS X; using SMTP option. What libraries needed?

Hi,

I've been trying to compile mutt to use SMTP. I've used the following configure:

./configure --prefix=/usr/local --with-curses --with-regex --enable-locales-fix \
  --enable-pop --enable-smtp --with-sasl --enable-hcache --with-ssl
$ make

when i get to the make part, it bombs out looking for sasl.

My question, what additional applications/libraries are needed? Is this written in any documentation somewhere? Do i NEED fink to do this?

I'm a somewhat technical tech writer, that would gladly share any info he finds out if someone could help on this!

Thanks,

Russ