Re: patch: signin & signoff feature (1.5.18)

On Wednesday, October  8 at 05:27 PM, quoth Christian Brabandt:
>> I use it myself to automatically insert the "~Kyle" in my mails.
>>
>> I have no beef with your "signin" variable, but your "signoff"
>> variable does appear to duplicate existing features.
>
> The same is true for sig_dashes vs. signature and still you have the
> flexibility to set both settings.

I don't understand what you're trying to say here...

> If you think about it, you might not want a Signature sometimes, but
> of course you would like to have a signoff string. Or you could
> generate the signature automatically by a script, but the
> signoff-String should be the same.

So, if I understand correctly, you're saying that there's a huge
usability and functionality difference between:

     unset signature

and

     set signature="~/.signoff-only"

?

I *do* generate my signature via a script. It looks like this:

     #!/bin/sh
     cat ~/.signoff-only
     echo "-- "
     getquote # my own personal fortune implementation

In some situations, when I don't want to attach a quote to my emails,
I use this:

     set signature="~/.signoff-only"

That file contains:

     ~Kyle

I'm not understanding what the problem is that a separate "signoff"
variable addresses. Do you want to be able to change your signoff
independently of your signature, via hooks?

     send-hook . 'set my_junk=`echo ~Kyle > ~/.signoff-only`'
     send-hook '%C work' 'set my_junk=`echo Kyle Wheeler > ~/.signoff-only`'

~Kyle
- --
Preach the Gospel at all times and when necessary use words.
                                               -- St. Francis of Assisi