Re: Recommended mail filters for use with mutt?

On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 10:12:29AM -0700, George Davidovich wrote:
> On Thu, Apr 03, 2008 at 01:19:20PM +0200, Christian Ebert wrote:
> > * Patrick Shanahan on Wednesday, April 02, 2008 at 17:26:30 -0400
> > > * Vladimir Marek <Vladimir.Marek@xxxxxxx> [04-02-08 16:25]:

> > > :0:
> > > * ^Sender.*mutt.org
> > > $MAILDIR/mutt.users
> >
> > :0
> > * ^List-Post:.*mailto:\/[^@]+
> > Lists/$MATCH/
>
> This may be getting a bit off-topic, but for anyone subscribed to more
> than a small handful of lists, or otherwise doesn't want to bother with
> writing (and testing) expressions similar to the above to accommodate
> the different approaches taken by different mailing list software, a
> more comprehensive approach might be preferable:
>
> http://www.professional.org/procmail/listname_id.rc

That of course was the reasoning behind my original posting, I want
the 'configuration' file to be trivially easy to add and remove lists
from and I want it to drive my muttrc requirements as well.

> If the idea of doing no work conflicts with one's sensibilities, then
> rolling up your sleeves and explicitly setting destinations or
> performing additional processing is also possible using this "One
> Approach To Rule Them All" method.  Either way, your .procmailrc need
> not be any more complicated than something along the following lines:
>
>     INCLUDERC=$PMDIR/listname_id.rc
>
>     :0
>     * LISTNAME ?? foo
>     lists/foo/
>
>     :0
>     * LISTNAME ?? mutt-users
>     lists/email-mutt/
>
>     :0
>     * LISTNAME ?? procmail
>     lists/email-procmail/

It's still a hell of a lot more complicated than:-

    jpilot      jpilot@xxxxxxxxxx
    keyring     gnukeyring-discuss@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx gnukeyring-discuss
    mutt        mutt-users@xxxxxxxx
    palm        palm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx      Palm
    pyblosxom   pyblosxom-users@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx  pyblosxom-users

... and the above drives my mutt aliases, mutt lists and mutt subscribe
*as well* as my filtering script.  (The third optional field by the
way removes those annoying "[<list name>]" insertions in the subject
lines).

I decided to go with my original idea of rewriting the perl filter.pl
in python and I have a working prototype already, it's only 63 lines
and 21 of them are comments.  I *do* like Python!

--
Chris Green