Recommended mail filters for use with mutt?

I currently use a custom (perl) mail filter for delivering mailing
list (and other) mail to appropriate mailboxes.  I'm not a perl
expert, in fact I rather dislike perl, it's only in perl because I
copied it from somewhere else and modified it for my own use.

I want to do some changes and was thinking of moving to using python
(which I prefer), however before I expend the effort on rewriting it
I wondered if there are any ready made utilities around that would
suit.

The main requirement is that the configuration file is very simple,
not like procmail for example.  My existing configuration file is
simply one line per list with the list name and my alias for it (which
is also the mailbox name).  My filter program reads this file and uses
it to route the mail to the right mailbox, my muttrc uses the same
file to set up aliases, lists and subscribe lines.

What do others here use, any recommendations that I might find useful?

Oh, one other requirement, it needs to be driven from the .forward
file, it's on a Linux box with locally delivered mail, not run from
POP3 or IMAP.

--
Chris Green