Charset Issue

I have two machines: satyr is GNU/Linux running mutt 1.4.2.2i and yekk
is FreeBSD running mutt 1.5.17.  Both machines have the following
variables set in muttrc:

set allow_8bit=no
set charset="iso-8859-1"
set send_charset="us-ascii:iso-8859-1:iso-8859-15:windows-1252:utf-8"
set use_8bitmime=no

satyr's environment includes LANG=en_US.UTF-8; yekk's is
LANG=en_US.ISO8859-1.

My .sigs include an "a" with an acute accent (C octal escaped UTF-8:
\303\241).  Sigs on both machines were created with emacs in a Latin-1
language environment.

Mail sent from satyr to yekk comes across with the accented glyph
properly displayed.  The headers include:

The same mail, when viewed in satyr's =Sent folder, shows an escaped
character (\341) in place of the á, even though the headers of the
saved mail are the same.  Mail that's been sent from yekk to satyr
also displays the escape code when viewed in mutt's pager.

The only way I can get the accented character to display properly on
both machines is to create a utf-8 encoded signature and set
allow_8bit on satyr so that there's no qp encoding of the mail.

Is the global LANG evironment variable overriding the charset that's
set in muttrc?  How can I set mutt to use the iso-9959-1 charset?  Am
I missing something obvious?

Thank you,

      JL

-