Re: Charset Issue

Hello Jorge,

 On Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at 16:02:55 -0400, Jorge Luis González wrote:

> My .sigs include an "a" with an acute accent (C octal escaped UTF-8:
> \303\241). Sigs on both machines were created with emacs in a Latin-1
> language environment.

    To use a single fixed charset .signature file in various
environments, you can dynamically recode it, --from the said fixed
charset, implicitly --to the current locale:

| set signature="iconv -c -f iso-8859-1 ~/.signature|"

> Is the global LANG evironment variable overriding the charset that's
> set in muttrc?

    No, the contrary: $charset overrides the locale. But a good muttrc
should *not* set $charset. Especially not when it contradicts the fine
locale, as in your case. And still not when it hardcodes the same thing
as the locale. And even not when it states the truth against a wrong
locale: Then fix the locale instead. In fact: Never set $charset,
outside of some marginal exceptions (like running under Cygwin).

Bye!    Alain.