Re: Charset Issue

Hi Kyle!

 On Wednesday, March 12, 2008 at 16:18:16 -0500, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> Alain can correct me if I'm wrong about any of this. :)

    « Thus, quite literally, what Kyle said is 100% accurate »
(PCC DDM 2005 :-). Well, outside of the QP paragraph:

> The difference here is, I think, that when mutt is decoding
> quoted-printable, it checks whether each decoded character is
> displayable, while when displaying messages that are not
> quoted-printable-encoded, it does not check each and every byte
> (because that would take too long).

    QP shouldn't cause this difference. Mutt always does in order:

 -1) decodes QP/base64/nothing
 -2) converts from MIME label to $charset
 -3) queries the libc about printability
 -4) if printable, then printed; otherwise \octalized
 -5) if printed, then ncurses applies its own rules downstream

    As you said, the behaviour of libc and ncurses depends on the
locale, not on a forced $charset. The $charset/LANG mismatch alone
explains the symptoms. $allow_8bit is not expected to play a role.

Bye!    Alain.
--
LESSCHARSET/LESSCHARDEF?
See the archives for more discussion on why this should,