Re: How to deal with new mail?

Hi,

> > I'm afraid that this is not possible with mutt, as it does not have
> > virtual folders, at least not ones containing mails from several
> > maildirs.
>
> So I'll have to learn the mutt way. Thanks for your suggestions!

Or find another solution for your problem :)

> > Try pressing '.' (dot) in index, it should list all folders which have
> > new mail. However, there's question about what exactly is new mail. If
> > you set mark_old=yes (default), new mail is mail where you haven't seen
> > even the Subject line in index. If you set mark_old=no, new mail is mail
> > where you haven't seen body of the mail. (This does not work for IMAP,
> > but I do have patch available).
>
> I did set mark_old=no and marked some mail in some folders as new with
> 'N' so it won't change to old when I leave the folder.
> But I can't get pressing '.' to work...nothing happens.

That is weird, I do not have explanation. I would try maildir as Kyle
suggested.

$ mkdir -p /tmp/maildir/{new,cur,tmp}

in mutt
 - press 'C' (capital C for copy mail) and enter /tmp/maildir as
   destination.
 - press 'c' (lowercase for switching folders) and enter /tmp/maildir
 - you should see one mail; mark the mail as new (capital N)

$ find /tmp/maildir -type f
Should show one file in /tmp/maildir/new/some_random_filename

in mutt
 - press ':' (for entering commands) and type "mailboxes /tmp/maildir"
   without the quoting
 - switch to your mailbox (c =new), or how is it called
 - press '.' and you should see at least "/tmp/maildir" in status line

You can try with mailbox format in similar  way,
 - press 'C' and type /tmp/mailbox. You will be prompted if you want to
   create one
 - switch to the mailbox (c/tmp/mailbox)
 - set the mail as new (N)
 - switch to your mailbox (c =new), or how is it called
 - make mutt to check new mail (:mailboxes /tmp/mailbox)
 - '.' ...

If even this fails, I'm out of ideas and I would try newer mutt
version.

--
        Vlad