Re: Asian fonts / xterm with Mutt

On Tue, Oct 23, 2007 at 09:29:23AM -0600, Joseph wrote:
> Thanks for the input Derek,
>
> On 10/23/07 01:12, Derek Martin wrote:

> I have the same settings in my "locale"

Good.

> >Using this, I can type Korean, Japanese, and Chinese (though I know
> >very little Japanese, and almost no Chinese at all):
> >
> >いただきます!  (Itadakimasu!)
>
> This must be Chinese, I see them all except the last character is square.

It's Japanese, Hiragana to be specific.  The last character is an
exclamation point, or if you meant the one before that, it's the
Hiragana syllable "su".  It's odd that either of those would not
display properly, if you have Japanese fonts installed.  But nothing
surprises me.

> >잘 먹으세요!    (Jal Mogeuseyo!)
>
> This Korean one displays correctly as well.
>

> >你好!          (Ni hao!)
>
> If this is Japanese, it doesn't show at all.  They are all squares, I know
> I don't have any Japanese fonts.

It's Mandarin actually, the standard greeting "ni hao" (roughly "how
are you?").

> >I can tell you, there are two particular fonts I have that display
> >these characters, and I can tell you the font resources I use to get
> >xterm to use them:
> >
> >XTerm*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
> >XTerm*font5: -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--18-120-100-100-C-90-ISO10646-1
>
> Do you have ".Xauthority" file in your home directory?

Er, yes... but I'm not sure what that has to do with it.  .Xauthority
is a file which the X server checks to see if you have permission
(cookies) to access the display.  I guess you might mean .Xdefaults
or .Xresources instead, and yes I have that file too (both of them,
though they're essentially redundant), which contains the resources
above.

Depending on how you start your X session, you might need to force the
X server to load your resources file using xrdb -merge (in, say,
.xsession or whatever).

> So, I think, all this Asian fonts are just mutter of correct font
> being installed on the system.  They display correctly even in my
> Nano editor.

Mostly, yes.  And having the right locale.  But it does depend a bit
on what terminal program you're using, and how your fonts are
configured.

-=-=-=-=-