Re: Asian fonts / xterm with Mutt

Thanks for the input Derek,

On 10/23/07 01:12, Derek Martin wrote:
The key to displaying all of those languages simultaneously is UTF-8.
Your locale should look something like this:

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

I have the same settings in my "locale"

Using this, I can type Korean, Japanese, and Chinese (though I know
very little Japanese, and almost no Chinese at all):

いただきます!  (Itadakimasu!)

This must be Chinese, I see them all except the last character is square.

잘 먹으세요!    (Jal Mogeuseyo!)

This Korean one displays correctly as well.

你好!          (Ni hao!)

If this is Japanese, it doesn't show at all.  They are all squares, I know I
don't have any Japanese fonts.

I can't tell you what packages to install to get this font on your OS
though... since I don't know what it is, and since I can't even figure
out which package I installed to get it on *my* distro...  ^^;

I can tell you, there are two particular fonts I have that display
these characters, and I can tell you the font resources I use to get
xterm to use them:

XTerm*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
XTerm*font5: -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--18-120-100-100-C-90-ISO10646-1

Do you have ".Xauthority" file in your home directory?

[snip]

So, I think, all this Asian fonts are just mutter of correct font being
installed on the system.
They display correctly even in my Nano editor.

--
#Joseph
GPG KeyID: ED0E1FB7