Re: Asian fonts / xterm with Mutt

On Mon, Oct 22, 2007 at 07:51:01PM -0600, Joseph wrote:
> What kind of xterm do you folks use with Mutt to display correctly Asian
> fonts, Chinese, Japanese, Korean etc?

I use standard xterm, using a UTF-8 environment and the GNU universal
unicode (iso-10646) fonts, but the Chinese character support in those
fonts is a bit spotty (lots of rectangular boxes instead of hanja
glyphs).  You might be better off using gnome-terminal or konsole,
which use the language-specific fonts in ways that I frankly don't
understand.

The key to displaying all of those languages simultaneously is UTF-8.
Your locale should look something like this:

$ locale
LANG=en_US.UTF-8
LC_CTYPE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NUMERIC="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TIME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_COLLATE=C
LC_MONETARY="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MESSAGES="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_PAPER="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_NAME="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ADDRESS="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_TELEPHONE="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_MEASUREMENT="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_IDENTIFICATION="en_US.UTF-8"
LC_ALL=

Using this, I can type Korean, Japanese, and Chinese (though I know
very little Japanese, and almost no Chinese at all):

いただきます!  (Itadakimasu!)

잘 먹으세요!    (Jal Mogeuseyo!)

你好!          (Ni hao!)

I can't tell you what packages to install to get this font on your OS
though... since I don't know what it is, and since I can't even figure
out which package I installed to get it on *my* distro...  ^^;

I can tell you, there are two particular fonts I have that display
these characters, and I can tell you the font resources I use to get
xterm to use them:

XTerm*font: -misc-fixed-medium-r-semicondensed-*-13-*-*-*-*-*-iso10646-*
XTerm*font5: -Misc-Fixed-Medium-R-Normal--18-120-100-100-C-90-ISO10646-1

The first is a 7x13 font, which shows all of the characters I typed
above, except for some reason the glyph for "ni" in "ni hao" is
missing.  The second is a 9x15 font that has all those glyphs, but is
definitely missing a variety of chinese characters, as I have seen in
the past.

gnome-terminal and konsole use different mechanisms to figure out
fonts.  In so doing, they're able to use native fonts for each
language/encoding, and from what I've seen have much better hanja
support.  When I use gnome-terminal under FC6, I don't have to do
anything to get it to work... it just works.  You need to have a
modern distro with pango and such, IIUC.  But like I said, on FC6, it
just works.  Still, I prefer xterm, because generally the fonts (at
least the Korean glyphs and latin characters) are sharper and easier
to read even at smaller sizes.  Though, comparing the two now (via
screen -x -- screen rocks), the hiragana actually looks better in
gnome-terminal...  YMMV.

Note: hanja = 한자 = かんじ = chinese characters... It's the Korean
word, which is similar to the mandarin word, but I don't know how to
write the mandarin word (or its romanization).

But also note, if all you're doing is copy-pasting the text into a
browser to translate, you don't even need to see the glyphs.  The
empty rectangles suffice... Assuming you're in a UTF-8 environment,
you'll still be able to copy the rectangles and paste them into your
browser, and the system will still know what characters are supposed
to be there, even if you can't see them.

-=-=-=-=-