Re: Charset issue?

Hello Roland,

 On Monday, May 14, 2007 at 8:49:16 +1200, Roland Hill wrote:

> I have made some changes since we started this in the interest of me
> trying to help myself. I posted a "SOLVED" followup, but maybe it
> isn't? I hope this hasn't wasted your time. Garbled messages are now
> fine.

    Great! I've seen your [SOLVED] mail only after having sent this one,
so you have now a choice of 2 perfect solutions. The principle is that
the terminal and the locale have to use the same charset. And one should
not hardcode $charset in muttrc (nor in other apps), so it is free to
follow whatever is the current locale.

>>| $ printf "L1: won\xB4t \xA8reply\xA8\nU8: won\xC2\xB4t
>>\xC2\xA8reply\xC2\xA8\n"
> - L1 line I get "won't" correctly followed by a quote mark.
> - U8 line I get "won" followed by an "A with a caret on top" followed
>   by an apostrophe and a "t".

    Fine: Those were indeed Latin-1 terminals. The day you don't see the
A circumflex but a correct U8 line, this will mean UTF-8 term.

 On Sunday, May 13, 2007 at 15:29:23 +1200, Roland Hill wrote:

> LANG=en_NZ.ISO-8859-1
> $ locale -a | grep ^en_NZ
> en_NZ
> en_NZ.utf8

    May look strange, but is fine: The libc has a progressive fallback
mechanism, and when given the "en_NZ.ISO-8859-1" value, it will still
locate and use the real "en_NZ" data. This one implicitly uses the
Latin-1 charset, therefore all is well.

> I still think things arn't perfect

    Why? Ah yes: You still have to bash this one evil sender, to teach
him acute accents are not apostrophes, and umlauts are not
double-quotes. A well used base-ball bat may have a great educational
value, trust me.

Bye!    Alain.
--
He even put in one of the stinkin smilies (you know: yellow, round,
happy... my personal preference is the one with a bleeding bullet hole