Re: exim4

* tom <bokchito@xxxxxxxxxx> [2006-11-22 13:29:08 +0000]:

> Kyle Wheeler wrote:

> >On Tuesday, November 21 at 08:59 PM, quoth tom:
> >

> >>I am using debian sarge, gkrellm,fetchmail, exim4 and mutt.
> >>
> >>Fetchmail is getting the mail from my ISP and it is being put into
> >>/var/spool/exim4/input.
> >>
> >>How do I get the mail into /var/mail/tom so that I can read it with mutt ?
> >>

> >This seems like an exim4 question... perhaps ask them?
> >
> >FYI, if you don't need a full exim4 server running, you can have
> >fetchmail deliver your mail directly by telling it to send your email
> >through procmail or something similar instead of handing it to the
> >local mail server (exim4). You can specify that by using the "mda"
> >command in your fetchmailrc.
> >
> >~Kyle
> >
> Ok thanks, I'll try the "mda" command.  I dont need exim4.  I usually
> use ssmtp or msmtp but kept getting SMTP connect to local host failed
> error with either of them when tried to fetch mail, but didn't have
> "mda" in .fetchmailrc.

As suggested, fetchmail+procmail is a rock solid solution. You don't
need a full exim4 installation for this very purpose, unless you need
something to take care of your outgoing mail aswell!

I use fetchmail+procmail for my incoming e-mails (fetchmail for getting
the messages and procmail for sorting them into different spools for
different mailing lists), and exim4 to send all my outgoing messages via
smarthost to an external smtp server.

Best regards
--
Kim Christensen
"I am Jack's complete lack of surprise."