Re: List address in reply-to var

Patrick Shanahan wrote:
> * Kim Christensen <kim-lists@xxxxx> [11-22-06 04:32]:
> > Is it possible to set the message headers on an outgoing message so
> > that it always puts the list address (if present) as the Reply-To
> > address? I'm currently changing the settings on a per-list basis, but
> > it would be convenient to use one statement for all lists :-)
>
> "Reply_To:" for mailing lists is a no-no, see:
>
>         http://www.unicom.com/pw/reply-to-harmful.html
>         http://woozle.org/~neale/papers/reply-to-still-harmful.html
>         http://www.metasystema.net/essays/reply-to.mhtml

It is a no-no for mailing list management software to add it.  But it
is acceptable for the author of the message to make use of it.  If the
author of the message choses to redirect replies back to the mailing
list that is the author's choice.  But even though I have done that on
occasion myself I am very much aware of the problems that it may cause
along the way and have seen the problems in the wild on many
occasions.

I am in complete agreement with you about mailing list software
munging the reply-to field.  That is a no-no.

Bob