Re: which biff for maildir?

On 09Nov2006 19:17, Russell L. Harris <rlharris@xxxxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Which biff works best for the maildir structure?
| My mail processing chain is:
|     POP3 server at ISP ->
|     getmail4 (run by cron) ->
|     maildrop (sorting mail into categories and sub-categories) ->
|     mutt
[...]
| I do not care to know simply that mail has been delivered.  What I
| need to know is whether mail has been delivered to specific maildirs
| in which I have particular interest, such as:

My "maildrop" step (a shell script wrapped around procmail) runs off
rules that will run an "alert" command for the interesting messages.
For me, this alert writes a (yellow) message summary line to a log file,
and I always have a small window running "tail -f the-log-file".

That's my biff.

| Also, I am starting to conclude that, with mutt, it is too tedious to
| keep more than one level of mail directory, and that it might be
| better to simplify the structure to:
|
|     ~/mail/computer-debian
|     ~/mail/computer-mutt
|     ~/mail/university
|
| Recommendations?

My folders are flat too.

One thing I do is file several mailing lists into a single folder, and
have the mail filer ass "X-Label:" headers to the messages. The I have
mutt include that label in the index line. That way I can have all the
"unix" lists in the unix folder, but still know their subcategory from
the label.

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743