Re: which biff for maildir?

On date Thu, Nov 09, 2006 at 07:17:00PM -0600, Russell L. Harris muttered:
> Which biff works best for the maildir structure?
>
> My mail processing chain is:
>
>     POP3 server at ISP ->
>
>     getmail4 (run by cron) ->
>
>     maildrop (sorting mail into categories and sub-categories) ->
>
>     mutt
>
> I tried gnubiff, but I could not figure out how to configure it, and
> documentation appears to be non-existent.
>
> I do not care to know simply that mail has been delivered.  What I
> need to know is whether mail has been delivered to specific maildirs
> in which I have particular interest, such as:
>
>     ~/mail/computer/debian
>
>     ~/mail/computer/mutt
>
>     ~/mail/university
>
>     etc.

I use gkrellm, that shows me the number of new mails incoming and
clicking over the corresponding box shows the number of new mails for
each specified mailbox.  It also runs a notify program, that you can
specify.  Here it is my notify-new-mails-arrival script, that playies a nice
sound and switch on the mail led on my acer laptop.

#! /bin/bash

E_BADARGS=65

new_mails_sound_file=~/share/sounds/new-mails.wav

MYNAME=$(basename $0)

# remember you can access shell variables from here (e.g. $1, $2, $EDITOR...)
usage() {
    cat <<EOT
Usage: $MYNAME [ <options> ]

Notify of new mails arrival, switching on the mail led and playing a
sound. This script doesn't check if mail is arrived, but has to be
called when this event has already been checked (e.g. by gkrellm or
by the comsat daemon).

    -h|--help|--usage      Print this help
EOT
}

if [ -n "$1" ]; then
   case $1 in
   -h|--help|--usage) usage; exit 0;;
   *) exit $E_BADARGS
fi

if [ -e "/proc/driver/acerhk/mail_led" ]; then
        echo 1 > /proc/driver/acerhk/led
fi

play $new_mails_sound_file

> Also, I am starting to conclude that, with mutt, it is too tedious to
> keep more than one level of mail directory, and that it might be
> better to simplify the structure to:
>
>     ~/mail/computer-debian
>
>     ~/mail/computer-mutt
>
>     ~/mail/university
>
>     etc.
>
> Recommendations?

I have the following structure:
~/Mail
|--inbox
|  |-- generic
|  |-- mutt-users
|  |-- probably-spam
|  `-- ...

`--archive
   |-- generic
   |-- mutt-users
   |-- ...

   `-- old
       |-- generic
       |-- mutt-users
       `-- ...

New messages are stored in some inbox mailbox according to
procmail/spamassassin, then they're saved in a corresponding mailbox
in archive.  Archives mailboxes are automatically processed by an anacron
job by archivemail which stores old messages in ~/Mail/archive/old.

HTH
--
Stefano Sabatini
Linux user number 337176 (see http://li.count.org)