Re: IMAP questions

On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 06:20:07PM -0700, Martin Swift wrote:
> Hey Chris,
>
> On Tue, May 17, 2005 at 07:34:22PM +0100, Chris Green wrote:
> > I've set my spoolfile and folder as suggested in "Mutt and IMAP" in
> > the documentation.  I can now browse some of my mail on the remote
> > machine as I expected, however there are some things I don't
> > understand.
>
> So the problems from your previous email are solved?

No, I'm just seeing how mutt looks when set up as above but on a
system where I have local mail as well.  I.e. as well as asking the
question I'm trying things out.

> > If I save some mail to, for example, 'test1' then I can retrieve
> > it by going to '=test1' but I can't see it using '?', all that '?'
> > shows me is the INBOX.
> >
> > The mail saved to 'test1' is actually saved in $HOME/INBOX/test1.
> >
> > How do I set up a hierarchy of mailboxes on the IMAP server which I
> > can navigate starting with '?'.
>
> To what is $folder set now? Try adding INBOX or INBOX. to the present
> value.

folder is set to imap://<ip address>/

Adding INBOX to the end of that has had no effect at all.

> If that doesn't work, this may:
>
>   imap_home_namespace
>
>   Type: string
>   Default: ""
>
>   You normally want to see your personal folders alongside your INBOX in
>   the IMAP browser. If you see something else, you may set this variable
>   to the IMAP path to your folders.

No, that doesn't appear to have done anything either, but I'm not
quite clear waht it means by "the IMAP path to your folders".  I tried
setting imap_home_namespace="/home/chris/Mail" which is where my saved
mail is kept (and is seen using ? by a local mutt) but still nothing
appeared when using ? on my remote mutt using IMAP.

It may well actually be much more simple and sensible to just ssh onto
the remote system and run mutt locally there now I come to think about
it.

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)

    "Never ascribe to malice that which can be explained by incompetence."