Re: setting default encodings

On Mon, Apr 18, 2005 at 10:11:03PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:

>  On Saturday, April 16, 2005 at 4:34:56 PM -0400, Paul Tremblay wrote:
>
> > On Sat, Apr 16, 2005 at 09:03:54PM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:
> >> Toby included the star: We both see it. Then you reply or forward: I
> >> see star, but you see garbage? Hum... Illogical. Most probably I
> >> would see garbage too.
> > "Here is a Unicode star for your tests: ★"
>
>     Fine star and UTF-8 label. I see the star OK. You too?

Yes. The only problem I have is that *all* my emails now get sent out
as utf-8. If the email is sent to me in latin1, it gets changed to
utf-8 and sent out as such. I am working in a utf-8 shell which
automatically converts everything to utf-8. I can't change this.

I know this isn't perfect because others with non-utf-8 aware encoding
won't be able to read them, but I will have to live with this
imperfection. I think this slight flaw is better than what I had
before, in which someone sent me a utf-8 file, and I would reply in
ASCII and garble everything.

Thanks for your help

Paul

--