Re: setting default encodings

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 11:04:28AM +0200, Alain Bench wrote:

> > 1) If I drop the LC_TYPE line, then I cannot read eamils with UTF-8.
>
>     Probably the LC_CTYPE value is already exported before, somewhere
> else in startup scripts. Drop this too, and check with "locale" and
> "locale charmap" that all is clean.

I'll try to figure out how to do this.

> > 2) When I reply to emails that are in utf-8, mutt sets the encoding as
> > latin1.
>
>     That's fine if your full reply (quotes included) contains only chars
> existing in Latin-1. Mutt always sends in best adapted first necessary
> and sufficient charset.
>
>     You don't really want all your outgoing emails to be UTF-8 encoded:
> Minimal charset gives better chances to be correctly read anywhere by
> anyone on any platform.

Right. I meant the problem below--when it needs to use UTF-8.

> > 3) If I forward an email to myself that is utf-8, the characters come
> > out funny. For example, you (or was it someone else) posted an email
> > with the unicode star. This appears as a star in my email. I forward
> > the emails to myself, and make sure I send it as utf-8, 8-bit. (I have
> > to do the utf-8 part manually.)
>
>     Problem here: You should not have to <edit-type> to UTF-8 manually,
> because Mutt should have choosed this charset itself. BTW just after
> change, do you « Convert to utf-8 upon sending? ([yes]/no): »?

Yes, I do choose yes.

>     Something is breaking Mutt's automation: Do you have any non-Ascii
> chars in signature, attribution, or in Muttrc/.muttrc? Do you have
> iconv-hooks? What is your iconv version? Is your editor unconditionally
> saving UTF-8 files?

1. No non-ASCII in signature of muttrc.

2. iconv-hooks set as:

iconv-hook CP850 cp850
iconv-hook ISO-8859-1 ISO8859-1
iconv-hook ISO-8859-7 ISO8859-7
iconv-hook ISO-8859-9 ISO8859-9
iconv-hook utf-8 utf-8

> > a funny character followed by \202 or some other number.
>
>     And « cannot read », yes... You could use a little more accuracy. Is
> it "â\230\205" (a circumflex, 230, 205)? Do you happen to use HP-UX?

3.

which iconv

iconv (GNU libiconv 1.9)

4. Sorry. Yes, you are right:

"â\230\205"

I am running Mandrake Linux 9.1.

5. my editor is vim. It is automatically set to encoding=utf-8. I have
tested vim by pasting stuff from the email into an html document and
then opening the document in a browser and setting the encoding to
utf-8. Plus, keep in mind that if I send the email to someone else,
say you, you will be able to read it. For example, if I reply to the
email in which you included the unicode star, and cc myself, you will
see the star, and I will see â\230\205.

Thanks

Paul

--