Re: setting default encodings

On Fri, Apr 15, 2005 at 05:38:48PM -0400, Paul Tremblay wrote:

> I am running Mandrake Linux 9.1. >
> 5. my editor is vim. It is automatically set to encoding=utf-8. I have
> tested vim by pasting stuff from the email into an html document and
> then opening the document in a browser and setting the encoding to
> utf-8. Plus, keep in mind that if I send the email to someone else,
> say you, you will be able to read it. For example, if I reply to the
> email in which you included the unicode star, and cc myself, you will
> see the star, and I will see â\230\205.

Woops! I just changed my text editor to emacs, and it handled the utf-8
just fine. So apparently vim wasn't saving the file as utf-8, which would
explain why after I quit out of vim, I saw that mutt was trying to send
the message as latin1. When I used emacs, it imediately recognized the
file as utf-8 and encoded it properly.

Thanks

Paul

--