Re: [OT] Sendmail vs. Exim, and SMTP Advice

On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 06:24:39AM EDT, Roy S. Rapoport wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 17, 2004 at 06:15:14AM -0400, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:

> > Treating BCCed mail as junk doesn't guarantee no false positives, and
> > doesn't catch most of the new breed SPAM.  If you ask me, template
> > scanners are the most powerful anti-SPAM tool available that can
> > guarantee zero false positives.  If you have spamcatcher addys, you can
>
> With the minor caveat that your system currently has about a 50% False
> Negative score :)

Here's the thing: you can greatly expand your template collection by
using spamcatcher addresses.  Statistics say your spamcatcher addys will
eventually get ahead of your real addy in every email list out there.
You're immune to any SPAMmer who makes the mistake of SPAMming your
spamcatcher addy first.

...and we're not talking about 99.34% FP avoidance - we're talking 100%
FP avoidance by definition :-)

(Anybody deliberately mailing your spamcatcher addy is SPAMming you and
deserves to have his message blocked.  The only opportunity for abuse I
can see is a DoS by overloading my poor li'l PERL script.  I should be
able to fix that by reimplementing the thing in C using a block-sorted
database.)

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel