Re: selective smart host/sendmail choice

On Thu, Jun 10, 2004 at 03:02:13AM EDT, Spiro Trikaliotis wrote:
> * On Wed, Jun 09, 2004 at 07:01:42PM -0400 Alexy Khrabrov wrote:

> > I run all my stuff off a dynamic IP, including sendmail.  Some sites
> > block the dynamic IP range, most don't.  For those which do, I resend
> > the mail using another sendmail program, with submit.cf configured to
> > use a smart host which is not blacklisted.
> >
> > Is there an easy way to resend such mail from mutt, i.e.
> > selectively choose the sendmail program per post?
>
> I'm using exim, not sendmail, but it should be the same for sendmail. I
> can give multiple smarthosts to exim. My config decides upon the "From"
> address, which smarthost to use. That is, if I specify a "GMX.DE"
> account, it used gmx.de, if I specify web.de, it uses web.de, and so on.

> Possibly, you can use the same technique for sendmail, or you might want
> to change to exim?

A good rule of thumb is that anything that an MTA can do, sendmail can do.
However, another good rule of thumb is that anything you can do with
another MTA after reading 2 pages of documentation, you'll have to read
200 before being able to do with sendmail.  It's one of the reasons why
I love sendmail 8-)

If I were going to do that, my approach would probably be to define two
mailers, the smtp mailer, and the relay-to-smarthost mailer.  I'd then
tell sendmail to try smtp first for any given message, and failing that
(4xx error code) to fallback to the smarthost relay.  ("Can your exim
do THAT?" ... hehe. . .)

One little bit of advice: the docs shipped with sendmail are no good.
There's a book that O'Reilly (spelling?) and his friends will try to shove
into your hands if they think you'll cough up the cash, but there's also
a ton of articles online covering virtually everything in that book.
Google is your friend.  Free.

 - Dave

Please visit this link:
http://rotter.net/israel