Editing headers of saved messages

Having recently played with Gmail, I have decided that the ability
to apply multiple labels to a message is superior to maintaining
hierarchical collection of folders where each message belongs to
only one label.

With that in mind, a few days ago I started playing with Mutt and
have customized it and rather like it.  Now, I'd like to have the
ability to add one or more labels to messages.  It occurs to me the
best way to do this is to add a custom header to messages that
stores a list of labels separated by commas for instance,

Is it possible to write a collection of macros, perhaps combined
with formail or other Unix tools, that can add and remove labels?  I
have gone over the HTML manual on www.mutt.org, and am not seeing an
obvious way to do this.

Thank you,
James