Re: Using mutt with remote IMAP and local mailboxes

On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 04:10:43AM -0400, David Yitzchak Cohen wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 14, 2004 at 05:19:36AM EDT, Chris Green wrote:
>
> > I.e. I am viewing some mail in (say) a remote IMAP mailbox, I decide I
> > want to copy some items from the remote mailbox to a local one.  I tag
> > the messages, how do I then save them locally?  Do I have to enter the
> > full local mailbox name?  (What I would really like is to be able to
> > use the remote name as the local name, see the other thread recently)
>
> That's not so easy.  I'd suggest flagging the messages, and then using a
> specialized tool (mailutil from the UW-IMAPd distribution comes to mind)
> to move flagged messages from your IMAP server to your local system,
> mirroring the mailbox structure.

I do already have a script which downloads IMAP mailboxes, it's
adapted from one similar to the mailutil stuff.  I've already done
some changes to it so am quite happy to change it further or use it as
the basis for something new.

The question is though, how do I 'flag' the messages on the remote
IMAP so that my utility can pick them out easily?  Is there an
obvious facility in IMAP to do this?

Overall I'd be happiest with this approach as it's somehow easier to
be convinced that a script isn't losing mail (probably wishful
thinking but still).

--
Chris Green (chris@xxxxxxxxxxx)