Re: IMAP caching?

On 14/04/2004, at 2:31 AM, René Clerc wrote:

* Ryan Verner <xfesty@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx> [12-04-2004 16:50]:

[finding the IMAP header caching patch]
Actually, shortly after I posted, I tried searching again and found
Muttwiki. I didn't find anything of relevance before when I tried exactly the same string. Or maybe I just hadn't had enough coffee at the time :-)

The Muttwiki lead me to:

http://dwyn.net/mutt/

Which only seems to apply against 1.4.  Anything more recent (i.e. 1.5
CVS) available?

See my post dated April 2nd, which has Message-ID:
  <20040402105810.GE22850@xxxxxxxx>

In speaking to Tudor Bosman (the writer of that patch) he has this to say (hope you don't mind, Tudor :)

Begin forwarded message:

From: Tudor Bosman <tudorb@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
Date: 5 April 2004 10:15:53 AM
To: Charlie Allom <charlie@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: headercache and mark_old

Go ahead. All of the imap code in mutt would benefit from a rewrite (or
at least, that's how it seemed to me when I wrote the patch.)  You know
how it (always) happens - I coded something up quickly (writing the
whole patch took less than a day) to use it myself, I was happy with
what turned out, and never got around to change it.

Things that should be done (from memory):
- fix the mutt code for better separation between the mailbox layer
(open / message list / get header / get body / flag as read / etc) and
the protocol layer (mbox / maildir / imap / pop3 / etc)
- move the caching in the mailbox layer (that's where it belongs) and,
as a consequence, integrate it with the maildir header cache
- an option to cache nothing / headers only / headers + bodies

There was one known bug, IIRC - message flags should (somehow) be
updated in the cache.  That is, if you use mutt on two machines (M1 and
M2) to read IMAP mail on server S, and both M1 and M2 have all headers
cached, then if you read some messages on M1, then log out and start
reading mail from M2, you will see those previously-read messages as New
- because M2 does not update the flags of the cached messages.

Good luck!

-Tudor.