Re: Number of Columns

Asif --

...and then Asif Iqbal said...
%
% This is what I had been using
%
% set editor='vim + -c "set textwidth=72" -c "set wrap" -c "set nocp" -c "?^$"'
%
% Hmm.. I did not realize that I was using vim. So I guess I just have to

That's what it says :-)

% increase the textwidth for more columns ? Is there a automatic max
% terminal length that can be set ? Also when I reply my cursor sill stays

You might also check your wrapmargin settings.  When in vi type

  :set

to see what settings you have in place.

% on the bottom of my signature. I want to place the cursor on the top of
% the email I am replying to automagically

The + says to jump to the bottom, the ? says to search backwards, and
the ^$ says to look for a line whose end comes right after its beginning
(eg empty).  What you're doing is jumping to the bottom and then looking
backwards for a blank line.  This makes no sense to me; it sounds like a
setting for someone who would quote the entire message and then add a
line of commentary.

If you have $edit_hdrs set, then you want to search down from the top for
the first blank line; if you don't, then you want to be at the top.  In
either case, get rid of the

  -c "?^$"

garbage.  In the latter case, get rid of the '+' as well, while in the
format case you might use

  vim +/^$

to search downward for a blank line.

%