Re: Unicode on macs (was: [Mutt] #1317: wish $edit_charset)

Hi,

On 2009-07-05 11:48:03 +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> * Vincent Lefevre wrote:
> > $ cat > foo
> >
> > Then type "abé" (without the quotes), then [BackSpace] twice, then
> > [Return] and Ctrl-D, then "cat foo". This is not just a mere bug,
> > this can be seen as data corruption!
>
> Well, that gives me a file containing just "a". Just because the UI
> looks almost the same, 10.3, 10.4 and 10.5 (all 3 being actively used I
> suppose) differ quite a lot. What version do you refer to?

Sorry, I forgot to tell you something very important: the é MUST be
encoded in NFC, not in NFD, otherwise you'll probably won't see the
bug. Here I get "ab".

> With a default install of (IIRC) fink stable, I got a zsh that doesn't
> support multibyte encodings and which breaks when you type multibyte
> chars and use backspace. If you meant to trigger such a case with the
> above example, the standard library can't be blamed for broken apps.

No, I have no problems with zsh (which is 4.3.10). The problem occurs
only in cooked mode, and this doesn't depend on the terminal (Apple's
terminal, iTerm and uxterm have the same problem).

> With 10.5, the minor issues I had with 10.4 are gone.

I have 10.4.11 (10.5 doesn't support one of my hardware cards).