Re: bug hunting party

On Tue, Feb 17, 2009 at 08:47:13AM +0100, Christian Ebert wrote:
> iconv -l would have saved me for the iso-8859-i case of that bug,
> because it worked with the old version (1.10) of iconv I had then
> on my machine.

The question is, is it generally available in iconv implementations
(i.e. those other than GNU)?  If not, then I think it's really not
practical to try to include it in Mutt, particularly where all we're
trying to accomplish is working around a buggy system library.

The right solution is to upgrade your broken library...

> >>   http://localhost:8000/mutt/main/rev/fb77465af534

By the way Rocco, that link isn't very useful. ;-)

> From a user's perspective I still maintain that I needed to be a
> Mutt fanatic to continue using it after that happened because at
> the very moment that mutt gets silently stuck on a huge mailbox
> without telling me anything. How could I've known
>
> a) that my libiconv version might be to old
> b) about any workarounds

I guess by asking this list... ;-)

Or, take the opposite view: How is a Mutt developer supposed to know
that you have a buggy system library?  In the general case, there's
really not much that can be done about that problem, other than
running your system updates regularly.  Essentially all software you
run on your system will be compiled against some system library, and
if it's buggy, you'll have trouble.  But the software vendor/dev isn't
in a position to fix that problem... it's not their code.

-=-=-=-=-