Re: bug hunting party

Hi Rocco and Derek,

* Derek Martin on Monday, February 16, 2009 at 23:11:42 -0600
> On Tue, Feb 10, 2009 at 01:17:36PM +0100, Rocco Rutte wrote:
>> * Derek Martin wrote:
>>> I have a thought about the approach to fix #2560:
>>>
>>> http://dev.mutt.org/trac/ticket/2560
> [...]
>> Yes: there's no portable iconv way to obtain the list of supported
>> charsets, at least as far as I know. I was told on I think #mutt that
>> iconvlist() isn't portable. See #1668 and changeset

iconv -l would have saved me for the iso-8859-i case of that bug,
because it worked with the old version (1.10) of iconv I had then
on my machine. -- I remember that because I used it to implement
something like assumed_charset in a slang script for slrn.

>>   http://localhost:8000/mutt/main/rev/fb77465af534
>
> Well, if that's true, we've already established that the real problem
> is in a buggy library (iconv) that mutt links against, and not mutt
> itself...  If there's no portable way to make iconv tell you what
> character sets it supports (BTW does that include something like
> popen("iconv -l") too?), then it seems to me this bug should be closed
> as invalid.

There's also the second case where iso-8859-2 is wrongly declared
as utf-8 in the from header. I don't know whether iconv -l would
have helped there.

(Un)fortunately I can't check because I don't have libiconv 1.10
anymore, and with libiconv 1.11 both messages do not hang up Mutt
anymore (even without the charset-hook for case 1, and
reverse_alias set for case 2).

So, perhaps just hope that no-one has libiconv 1.10 installed
anymore?

>From a user's perspective I still maintain that I needed to be a
Mutt fanatic to continue using it after that happened because at
the very moment that mutt gets silently stuck on a huge mailbox
without telling me anything. How could I've known

a) that my libiconv version might be to old
b) about any workarounds

I still remember how I sat there cursing and manually testing the
mutt-dev mbox with recent messages removed until I found the
culprit because it took some time until Alain came up with the
workaround(s) ;-) Someone not as crazy as me would just have
switched to a mailer that displayed the message and be done with
it, hehe.

\black\trash movie    _C O W B O Y_  _C A N O E_  _C O M A_
Ein deutscher Western/A German Western
-->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc.html
-->> http://www.blacktrash.org/underdogma/ccc-en.html