Re: [Mutt] #2889: version date is incorrect when ChangeLog is not

#2889: version date is incorrect when ChangeLog is not up-to-date

Comment (by Vincent Lefevre):

 {{{
 On 2008-05-30 14:17:31 +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
 > Well, the best thing I can come up with so far is:
 >
 >   hg log -r `hg id | cut -d' ' -f1` --template '{date|shortdate}'
 >
 > though I wonder what implications this has when building from tarballs
 > (e.g. you unpack the tarball in some dir whose parent is a hg repo: you
 > get the parent dir's tip, not mutt's).

 One could add something like "test -d .hg", or would there be another
 problem with that (e.g. users for which Mutt is a subdirectory in
 their own Mercurial repository, if possible)?

 Can't hg restrict logs to the current directory instead of looking
 at the parent too? (So, if the current directory comes from a tarball,
 there should be no logs and this could be detected.)

 > I think the much cleaner solution would be to use a commit wrapper
 > script where you enter your change message. This would generate the
 > proper ChangeLog line before committing so we could keep using ChangeLog
 > since it'd be always up-to-date. But I don't know how well that would
 > work with merging...

 Maybe. FYI, in coreutils (with git), the ChangeLog is not under
 version control, but generated for tarballs[*]. If Mutt goes this
 way, the presence of the ChangeLog file could be detected.

 [*]
 http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=coreutils.git;a=blob;f=HACKING;hb=HEAD
 }}}

--