Re: [Mutt] #2889: version date is incorrect when ChangeLog is not

#2889: version date is incorrect when ChangeLog is not up-to-date

Comment (by Rocco Rutte):

 {{{
 Hi,

 * Vincent Lefevre wrote:
 >On 2008-05-29 11:01:15 -0000, Mutt wrote:

 >>  In general I think this is right. However, this breaks if you're
 >>  not compiling tip (e.g. checked out some tag or specific revision,
 >>  or in the middle of bisect). OTOH it's kind of an edge case and the
 >>  question is whether people actually do install that version...

 >I suppose that the hg command could be improved. But I don't know
 >much about Mercurial...

 Well, the best thing I can come up with so far is:

    hg log -r `hg id | cut -d' ' -f1` --template '{date|shortdate}'

 though I wonder what implications this has when building from tarballs
 (e.g. you unpack the tarball in some dir whose parent is a hg repo: you
 get the parent dir's tip, not mutt's).

 I think the much cleaner solution would be to use a commit wrapper
 script where you enter your change message. This would generate the
 proper ChangeLog line before committing so we could keep using ChangeLog
 since it'd be always up-to-date. But I don't know how well that would
 work with merging...

 Rocco
 }}}

--