Re: [Mutt] #2889: version date is incorrect when ChangeLog is not

Hi,

* Vincent Lefevre wrote:
On 2008-05-29 11:01:15 -0000, Mutt wrote:

 In general I think this is right. However, this breaks if you're
 not compiling tip (e.g. checked out some tag or specific revision,
 or in the middle of bisect). OTOH it's kind of an edge case and the
 question is whether people actually do install that version...

I suppose that the hg command could be improved. But I don't know
much about Mercurial...

Well, the best thing I can come up with so far is:

  hg log -r `hg id | cut -d' ' -f1` --template '{date|shortdate}'

though I wonder what implications this has when building from tarballs (e.g. you unpack the tarball in some dir whose parent is a hg repo: you get the parent dir's tip, not mutt's).

I think the much cleaner solution would be to use a commit wrapper script where you enter your change message. This would generate the proper ChangeLog line before committing so we could keep using ChangeLog since it'd be always up-to-date. But I don't know how well that would work with merging...

Rocco