Re: [Mutt] #2889: version date is incorrect when ChangeLog is not

On 2008-05-30 14:17:31 +0200, Rocco Rutte wrote:
> Well, the best thing I can come up with so far is:
>
>   hg log -r `hg id | cut -d' ' -f1` --template '{date|shortdate}'
>
> though I wonder what implications this has when building from tarballs
> (e.g. you unpack the tarball in some dir whose parent is a hg repo: you
> get the parent dir's tip, not mutt's).

One could add something like "test -d .hg", or would there be another
problem with that (e.g. users for which Mutt is a subdirectory in
their own Mercurial repository, if possible)?

Can't hg restrict logs to the current directory instead of looking
at the parent too? (So, if the current directory comes from a tarball,
there should be no logs and this could be detected.)

> I think the much cleaner solution would be to use a commit wrapper
> script where you enter your change message. This would generate the
> proper ChangeLog line before committing so we could keep using ChangeLog
> since it'd be always up-to-date. But I don't know how well that would
> work with merging...

Maybe. FYI, in coreutils (with git), the ChangeLog is not under
version control, but generated for tarballs[*]. If Mutt goes this
way, the presence of the ChangeLog file could be detected.

[*] http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=coreutils.git;a=blob;f=HACKING;hb=HEAD