Re: Question regarding the use of double quotes in an email header

On Friday, May 18 at 08:56 AM, quoth Mun Johl:
For some reason, when I receive email from a colleague, the From: line looks like this (of course, without the indentation):

  From: email_address   // format 1

rather than this:

  From: First Last <email_address>   // format 2

Huh. That is strange. Check out the raw message (e.g. hit 'e' when viewing the message to see it in raw form in your $EDITOR) to see if the From header is actually there. If it isn't, then it's not mutt's fault; if it is, then something rather peculiar is happening (perhaps an artifact of your aliases?).

But in Outlook, it appears like this:

  From: "First Last" <email_address>   // format 3

Right; this is the distinction I was talking about in my last email. Mutt doesn't display the quotes if it doesn't have to.

I checked my mbox in /var/mail and at least it's the same in there. That is, emails from colleagues appear in format 1.

Hmmmm, well, at least it isn't mutt's fault. That sounds like it may be Exchange's fault.

However, you MAY be able to work around it by adding aliases for your colleagues that include their names (I'm not sure of the details of your indent patch).

But, I do receive some emails (from non-colleagues) where the double quotes are present.

HUH. That is puzzling.

But after looking at my raw mbox, this is not a mutt issue.

Unfortunately, probably not. Good luck figuring it out!

~Kyle
--
Moral indignation is jealousy with a halo.
                                                       -- H. G. Wells