Re: Question regarding the use of double quotes in an email header

On Thursday, May 17 at 05:06 PM, quoth mun_johl@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx:
The company I work for as defined everyone's email addresses as:
  "First Last" <address@domain>

...okay...

Mutt seems pretty smart and automatically adds/removes the double quotes on the outgoing email based on one's name (e.g., if a period is used). But my company uses the double quotes on all addresses. Okay, that's not a big deal.

Essentially, when sending recipient addresses via SMTP, the quotes are used to isolate characters that may potentially have some other meaning. In other words, they're used when they're useful.

The reason I bring this up is because when I receive emails, the double quotes and the text they surround appear to be cleansed from my emails.

They only *appear* to be cleansed. They're still there (as you can see if you, for example, pipe them to less with $pipe_decode unset). Mutt is removing them as part of the decoding phase, just as it also turns names that look like this:
   =?iso-8859-1?Q?H=E5kedal?=
into this:
   Håkedal

(Thanks, Salve!)

The idea is that the quotes are essentially an artifact of the internal formatting of RFC 822-style email (aka: ALL email), and shouldn't be displayed in their literal form any more than any of the other encoding details should be.

And because of that--and that fact that I am using the old indent patch (patch-cvs.jmy.indent.1)--the patch is essentially rendered null and void.

Eh? Why, what's it do?

Any ideas why I am not receiving the header intact just as it was sent?

Chances are, you *are* receiving the header intact. They just aren't being displayed.

Is this a problem, or are you just curious about the reasoning?

~Kyle
--
Make no little plans. They have no magic to stir men's blood.
                                                    -- Daniel Burnham