Re: Question regarding the use of double quotes in an email header

Hi Kyle, et al.,

First, my apologies for double posting my original email.
Please see my comments below.

On Fri, May 18, 2007 at 07:33 AM PDT, Kyle Wheeler wrote:

... Text Deleted ...

KW>  The idea is that the quotes are essentially an artifact of the internal
KW>  formatting of RFC 822-style email (aka: ALL email), and shouldn't be
KW>  displayed in their literal form any more than any of the other encoding
KW>  details should be.
KW>
KW> > And because of that--and that fact that I am using the old indent patch
KW> > (patch-cvs.jmy.indent.1)--the patch is essentially rendered null and void.
KW>
KW>  Eh? Why, what's it do?

For some reason, when I receive email from a colleague, the From: line
looks like this (of course, without the indentation):

   From: email_address   // format 1

rather than this:

   From: First Last <email_address>   // format 2

But in Outlook, it appears like this:

   From: "First Last" <email_address>   // format 3

I checked my mbox in /var/mail and at least it's the same in there.
That is, emails from colleagues appear in format 1.  But, I do receive
some emails (from non-colleagues) where the double quotes are present.
And in the reply from you, the From: line was in format 2; thus the
indent patch prepended "KW>" for your verbiage--as expected.

KW> > Any ideas why I am not receiving the header intact just as it was sent?
KW>
KW>  Chances are, you *are* receiving the header intact. They just aren't being
KW>  displayed.
KW>
KW>  Is this a problem, or are you just curious about the reasoning?

Sorry, yes this is a bit of a problem.  The indent patch is trying to
parse the From: line and extract the initials of the sender.  But in my
case, since the sender's name is not present in the From: line, the
functionality of the patch is unusable.

I'm trying to figure out where in the email transmission/reception
process the names are being stripped for me, and why.  But after looking
at my raw mbox, this is not a mutt issue.

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

--
Mun