Re: change_folder_next patch

I'm sorry for the noise, Alain, I fired off before noticing reponses
in #mutt explaining what it really does. ;-/

=- Gary Johnson wrote on Wed  9.May'07 at 12:22:31 -0700 -=

> On 2007-05-09, Rado S <list-rado@xxxxxx> wrote:
> > I admit, I haven't followed from the beginning and even
> > retroactively don't understand the benefit yet.
> > What does this mean?
> >     "start at the folder after the current folder."
> >
> > ------ QUOTE BEGIN ------
> > +OP_MAIN_NEXT_FOLDER "open next folder with new mail"
> > ------- QUOTE END -------
> >
> > This is already what change-folder does by default: offering the
> > mailbox in the prompt to just hit enter, why do we need the
> > extra function? Why not extend the change-folder desc. to carry
> > that info: "change to other folder, offers mailbox with new
> > message as default"
>
> Leaving the feature as an option to the change-folder command
> makes more sense to me, too. A user would presumably settle on a
> preference for "next unread mailbox" or the current "first unread
> mailbox" behavior of the change-folder command, so I don't
> understand the utility of a new function.
>
> As for the benefit to new users, I think new users would benefit
> from not having yet another means to change folders/mailboxes.

Heh, my original intention was not to suggest implementing it with a
var rather than a function (but dropping it altogether ;), but now
that I understand, it boils down to the question: what's more
user-friendly, less vars or less functions.
 Given that there is no easy way to "clean up" the function list (==
wipe all default bindings and have just the own ones), the list is
already very (too) long to easily overview it.

And since this feature request is a special case (sorry Alain, I
don't expect this to be the "new way" for changing mailboxes,
priorized mailboxes are too useful ;), I guess it's not too much to
ask interested parties to rtfm about it to deviate from a default.

I prefer this to be a variable rather than a function, too.
With macros using that var both functions could be emulated.