Re: Make of docs and other stuff

On Wed, May 09, 2007 at 08:52:55AM -0600, Kyle Wheeler wrote:
> On Wednesday, May  9 at 05:32 PM, quoth Brian Salter-Duke:
> >xsltproc --nonet ./chunk.xsl manual.xml
> >I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
> >     http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk.xsl
> >warning: failed to load external entity
> >     "http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk.xsl";
> >compilation error: file ./chunk.xsl line 3 element import
> >xsl:import : unable to load
> >     http://docbook.sourceforge.net/release/xsl/current/xhtml/chunk.xsl
>
> This is explained in mutt/doc/devel-notes.txt. Essentially, you need
> to export some environment variables to tell it where the XML catalog
> files are.

OK, this works, but I had to download the two distributions and one is
over 2Mb. It seems overkill. The devel-notes.txt is pretty obscure. It
used to be for developers, not for Joe Blow just trying to compile from
sources. Thanks for drawing my attention it.

> >2. Why do we even need to make the documents. They are on the main
> >site or they can just be added to the release.
>
> The idea, I believe, is that we only want to write one set of
> documents, and have them built into both html and man pages. Otherwise
> it becomes a "you updated it here, did you update it there too?"
> thing.

If the appropriate makefile for the documents was available to those who
release a new release, they could run it and put the documents on the
web page where the release is announced.

> >3. If thay do have to be made, I suggest a separate 'make docs' after
> >'make', so failure in making the docs does not stop getting the
> >executable.
>
> Hm. It doesn't stop *my* build. I wonder why it stops yours...?

I have no idea, but I later realised that it was hanging leaving lynx,
make and various thinks still running. It is certainly OK now.

> >Best wishes to all, but particularly to old mutt friends.
>
> Good luck!

Thanks, Brian.

--
If a thing's worth doing, it is worth doing badly.
                                               -- G.K. Chesterton