Re: What's needed for mutt 1.6? (send multipart/alternative)

On Mar 3, 2007, at 5:01 AM, Rado S wrote:

In the current mutt if one replies to a multipart/alternative
e-mail and includes the original e-mail, then only the plain
text portion of that e-mail is included. The rest is discarded.
I have had many complain to me about this, since they prefer the
html portions of the mulitpart/alternative and are unhappy with
being forced to use plain text.

See alternative_order, auto_view, and '?' help in compose menu ->
edit-type (=> macro) (optionally edit_headers).
This should allow you to conveniently produce HTML eMail.

The problem with this approach is it only produces the HTML portion.
The individuals I deal with have both HTML, content-id inline gifs, and possbly
other attachments They want it all preserved.

See also MuttFaq/ Attachments on wiki.

So mime_reply offers a simple way to handle that situation where only
mutt's new response is in plain text. The previous chain of e-mail is
left in it original format. So from an html e-mail user's perspective
they see the previous e-mails essentially the same.

So either I was right about the TOFU'ing or I'm missing something here.
What do _you_ do with the _HTML part_ of the eMail?
Really just resend it back unchanged?!

Yes, I want to send back the original part of the e-mail unchanged.
This is very useful in group replies when I add new individuals to
the cc list. They don't have the history e-mail prior to this. Using forwarding
does solve the attachment issue, but now there is a new issue of having
manually add everyone from the original mail back to this email. The reply
option I'm requesting solves this issue.

Don't people have "sent" folders?
("but what about the context?" you might ask: tag-forward it to
those requesting it _when_ they do so, or do they really check
the whole history with each eMail?!)

Not in the case of a group reply if new individuals are added
later on. They won't have this history. All they'll have is the plain text history of the email or using auto_view they'll just have the html portion.