flow & wrap (was: What's needed for mutt 1.6?)

* Rocco Rutte on Friday, March 02, 2007 at 14:10:00 +0000:
> * Christian Ebert [07-03-02 08:28:03 +0100] wrote:
>> * Rocco Rutte on Wednesday, February 28, 2007 at 09:39:03 +0000:

[...]

> Hmm. I never had problems with them. Can you mail me an exampe (privately)?

>> While I guess it is more correct rfc-wise I personally prefer the
>> old-fashioned way of reading the mail wrapped -- and only eg. a
>> long line like the url above not wrapped (otoh I use a rather
>> wide terminal so that eg. long urls broken by terminal width).

> The patch itself is more rfc-compliant. The rfc says the receivers can format
> it to whatever they want, which includes leaving it as is. :)

> The patch doesn't flow things up to the terminal with but to
> with-$wrapmargin.
> Unfortunately, $wrapmargin defaults to 0.

For trials I "solved" this with:

message-hook '~h ^Content-Type:.*format\=flowed' 'set wrapmargin=`wrapmargin.sh
80`'

where wrapmargin.sh is:

#!/bin/sh
declare -i WD
WD=$1
COLS=`tput cols`
if [ $COLS -gt $WD ] ; then
        echo $((COLS-WD))
else
        echo 0
fi

The long url quoted above now looks like this:

+<http://user.cs.tu-berlin.de/~pdmef/mutt/patches/patch-1.5.13-cvs.muttng.ff.3.d
+iff>

duh ...

and if you would quote a non-flowed message with long lines the
mail would look like sent with OE ;)

Fortunately I have a python script that could take care of all
this ... or I just don't use the patch ;)

Years ago, I saved up a million dollars from acting -- a lot of money then --
and I spent it all on a horse farm in Tucson. Now when I go down there, I look
at the place and I realize my whole acting career adds up to a million dollars
worth of horseshit.                                          -- Robert Mitchum