mutt_dotlock and permissions (was: (Solved) Re: pdf attachments)

On 2007-02-15 13:10:19 +0000, Lars Hecking wrote:
>  If you run make install as non-root user, make aborts because you
>  have no permission to chgrp and chmod mutt{.,_}dotlock. This is
>  before mime.types gets installed.

I first reported this failure in 6 years ago, and then in 2002:

"This is normal, but anyway, mutt_dotlock is already installed in
/usr/bin. In fact, I just want to install the mutt binary. The
problem is that Mutt has installed a mutt_dotlock with incorrect
permissions in my home directory. I think that if it can't set
the correct permissions, it shouldn't install mutt_dotlock."

Then Tamotsu Takahashi wrote a patch adding --with-system-dotlock
option.

Also, the locking strategy is determined at compile time, i.e.
dotlocking can be disabled if Mutt thinks it is useless for the
incoming mailbox. But if later things change (e.g. a change in
the incoming mailbox, or the use of other mailboxes), this can
lead to mailbox corruption. I don't think this problem has been
fixed.