Re: pdf attachments

Michael Tatge writes:
[...]
> Is is just this one pdf, or does it happen with all of them?

 I did some systematic testing with pdfs in my account. see below.

> As a workaround you should be able to <edit-type> resp. <edit-encoding>.

 Which is what I have resorted to doing ...

Paul Walker writes:
[...]
> Out of interest, is it just mutt that gets confused, or does (say) file get
> it wrong as well?

$ file S50BW-107021415590.pdf irdc0956.pdf
S50BW-107021415590.pdf: PDF document, version 1.4
irdc0956.pdf:           PDF document, version 1.4
$

 (This is the same document - the first version was created by our Konica
  printer/scanner, the second version exported from .xls with OO 2.0.4).

 Here's a short list of tests with a few pdf files I found. The first column
 is the output of the file command, the second one the creator (as shown by
 Acrobat reader -> Document properties), the final one how mutt encodes it.

 file magic     created                 mutt mime
 PDF v1.2       Distiller 3.01a         text/plain
 PDF v1.3       5D PDFlib               text/plain
 PDF v1.3       5D PDFlib               application/octet-stream
 PDF v1.4       50BW-1 (Konica scanner) text/plain
 PDF v1.4       OO 2.1                  application/octet-stream

 There seems to be no system to it :-/