Re: Patch to CVS

Re: Nicholas Longo 2006-04-06 <20060406142548.GA2404@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
> > The main advantage of this feature in pine was that it would
> > automatically save the mbox with the 'deleted' flags when it (or
> > rather the terminal/ssh) crashed so you didn't "unloose" all mail.
>
> With the patch I coded up it wouldn't save data from a crash.  I only
> change the routine that synchronizes.  I thought about this but, many people,
> myself included have enormous mail boxes, writing to disk every time
> you delete a message would get 'expensive'.

You can implement that by trapping SIGHUP and only then syncing the
folder.

> > I don't know how useful writing mboxes with deleted messages in them
> > is in normal operation.
>
> Depends on how you read your mail for some people it is vital.

In some folders (mailing lists mostly) I don't ever delete messages
but limit to (threads containing) unread messages. I guess that's
about the same scheme using a different mechanism.

Christoph
--
cb@xxxxxxxx | http://www.df7cb.de/