Re: Patch to CVS

On 06Apr2006 16:47, Christoph Berg <cb@xxxxxxxx> wrote:
| Re: Nicholas Longo 2006-04-06 <20060406142548.GA2404@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
| > > The main advantage of this feature in pine was that it would
| > > automatically save the mbox with the 'deleted' flags when it (or
| > > rather the terminal/ssh) crashed so you didn't "unloose" all mail.
| >
| > With the patch I coded up it wouldn't save data from a crash.  I only
| > change the routine that synchronizes.  I thought about this but, many
people,
| > myself included have enormous mail boxes, writing to disk every time
| > you delete a message would get 'expensive'.
|
| You can implement that by trapping SIGHUP and only then syncing the
| folder.

Maybe SIGTERM, too? Of course never SIGQUIT - that's for debugging.

| In some folders (mailing lists mostly) I don't ever delete messages
| but limit to (threads containing) unread messages. I guess that's
| about the same scheme using a different mechanism.

Um, care to elaborate on this? (Perhaps on mutt-users with a new subject).
Beyond fiddling the collapse options and pushing <collapse-all> on
entering the mailbox I don't see how to do this easily. My attempts feel
clunky. What do you do?

Cheers,
--
Cameron Simpson <cs@xxxxxxxxxx> DoD#743
http://www.cskk.ezoshosting.com/cs/

Rearranged the networking in Telsa's room. This lets me get a single
address space for the entire house network so that machines can move
rooms without having to be reconfigured. More importantly although she
has yet to realise it leaves me with sufficient free ports downstairs
to later run cabling into the TV room and kitchen. - Alan Cox 12apr2001