Re: Detection of quote levels in format-flowed with hard line breaks

Salut Alain,

* Alain Bench on Monday, April 03, 2006 at 20:45:39 +0200:
>  On Sunday, April 2, 2006 at 12:36:22 +0200, Christian Ebert wrote:
>> Sometimes I receive mails that are format-flowed and contain hard
>> breaks. The raw text looks like this then:
>>|  > This is a quote containing
>>|  > a hard line break
>
>     That case is fully defined by the flowed RFC: This is *not* quoted
> text, but 2 lines that happen to begin with a ">". The key difference is
> the raw space prepended to those lines. See RFC 3676 section 4.4 about
> "Space-Stuffing".

I thought/feared so.

>> $quote-regexp does not work eg. for coloring.
>
>     It's a feature.

heh

But that's ok, at least now I know what's going on.

>     But it's a feature that annoys me as well. Since years I receive
> many true false quotes like this. Apparently some Eudora and Mozilla

Yes, the messages are often sent by Mozilla.

> users stepping on a bug, doing a false move, or copy-pasting without
> "paste as quoted text": I never discovered exactly what happens.
>
>     You can patch Mutt to color such space stuffed quotes as if they
> were normal quotes: In handler.c:flowed_stuff(), comment out the
> state_puts("\033[0m",s); line.

I might try that.

Thanks a lot.

_B A U S T E L L E N_ lesen!  --->> <http://www.blacktrash.org/baustellen.html>