Re: Detection of quote levels in format-flowed with hard line breaks

Hi Christian!

 On Sunday, April 2, 2006 at 12:36:22 +0200, Christian Ebert wrote:

> Sometimes I receive mails that are format-flowed and contain hard
> breaks. The raw text looks like this then:
>|  > This is a quote containing
>|  > a hard line break

    That case is fully defined by the flowed RFC: This is *not* quoted
text, but 2 lines that happen to begin with a ">". The key difference is
the raw space prepended to those lines. See RFC 3676 section 4.4 about
"Space-Stuffing".

> $quote-regexp does not work eg. for coloring.

    It's a feature.

    But it's a feature that annoys me as well. Since years I receive
many true false quotes like this. Apparently some Eudora and Mozilla
users stepping on a bug, doing a false move, or copy-pasting without
"paste as quoted text": I never discovered exactly what happens.

    You can patch Mutt to color such space stuffed quotes as if they
were normal quotes: In handler.c:flowed_stuff(), comment out the
state_puts("\033[0m",s); line.

Bye!    Alain.
--
Software should be written to deal with every conceivable error
        RFC 1122 / Robustness Principle