Re: mutt/2164: unrelevant 'bad IDN' error message

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2164; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Thomas Roessler <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: Re: mutt/2164: unrelevant 'bad IDN' error message
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 00:23:59 +0100

 On 2006-01-19 19:15:01 +0100, Alain Bench wrote:

 > Yes, we know that an invalid $charset gives such highly
 > appropriate error. Unfortunately it seems difficult to give
 > better message, without moving the knoweledge of what is
 > valid or invalid from iconv to Mutt itself. And this is
 > probably not good. Any suggestion anyone?

 We could put an explicit test into the variable setting code
 that checks whether the translation of the alphabeth in ASCII
 to UTF-8 is still the alphabeth in ASCII -- hence ensuring that
 we do have a charset setting that is a superset of ASCII.

 --
 Thomas Roessler                              <roessler@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx>