Re: mutt/2164: unrelevant 'bad IDN' error message

The following reply was made to PR mutt/2164; it has been noted by GNATS.

From: Alain Bench <veronatif@xxxxxxx>
To: bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Cc: Sergey <psv@xxxxxxxxx>
Subject: Re: mutt/2164: unrelevant 'bad IDN' error message
Date: Fri, 20 Jan 2006 20:42:39 +0100 (CET)

 Hi Sergey,

     Please send followups to the bug tracker at bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
 Previous mail already resent there.

  On Thursday, January 19, 2006 at 20:31:02 +0200, Sergey wrote:

 > I don't understand, why $charset that is used for reading messages
 > does problem for send messages? $send_charset work properly.

     Upon sending, a conversion *from $charset* to one of $send_charset
 (or to the strange IDN coding) is performed. So of course $charset
 counts, as a point of origin.

 > my terminal has US settings

     Mutt can't work correctly like this. May I suggest something like:

  - A KOI8-R terminal
  - LANG=C
  - LC_CTYPE=ru_RU.KOI8-R

     So everything will be English, including Mutt's interface, but Mutt
 will display both English and Russian mails written in whatever charset.
 Or this:

  - An UTF-8 terminal
  - LANG=en_US.UTF-8

     In both cases do *not* set $charset: It automatically takes the good
 value. You can continue to call gvim, or just use Mutt's internal pager.

 > I'm used mutt only two weeks

     Welcome to Mutt, Sergey! There are many infos about charset settings
 in <URL:http://wiki.mutt.org/?MuttFaq/Charset>.

 > Anycase, I think this bug is duplicate for bug 'invalid $charset'.

     I don't understand: What do you mean?

 >>> set charset ="utf-8:us-ascii:koi8-r:windows-1251"'
 >> Nonsense: $charset doesn't take such values.
 > But it works :-): I can see russian mails in gvim. May be mutt use
 > only first value (utf-8)?

     No: It takes the whole pile as one charset. It appears to work at
 first sight only by accident. Because mail and terminal match. Or
 because the (limited) autosensing of gvim helped.

     But the pile is an invalid charset, which breaks iconv, hurts
 libidn, stops display and send conversions, and mislabels outgoing
 mails. Definitely bad.

 Bye!   Alain.
 --
 Followups to bug reports are public, and should go to bug-any@xxxxxxxxxxxxx,
 and the reporter (unless he is a member of mutt-dev). Do not CC mutt-dev